Kathy Smart—holistic nutritionist and chef, bestselling author, TV personality, founder of Live The Smart Way, and did we mention North America’s gluten-free expert?—is speaking at Gluten Free Garage on Sunday May 28 at 11:30 am! She’s going to reveal the top 5 gluten-free foods you haven’t heard about and why you need to eat them. Then she’ll share some tasty ways to prepare and eat them. Below, she reveals a bit more about herself.
30 Questions for Kathy Smart
1. Three words to describe yourself. Happy/joyful, kind, loving.
2. Do you have a nickname? As a child, Squirt (I was little); to my husband, Sweet Pea; in my band, Rockstar; as a fitness trainer, Killer Kathy.
3. When did you find out you have celiac disease? When I was 12. (I’m turning 39.)
4. What food do you miss the most? Fresh bread rolls.
5. You travel a lot. What three things are always in your bag? Lipstick, gum and a little Strawberry Shortcake doll my best friend’s daughter gave me to look at if I get sad or scared.
6. What’s the last place you traveled to? Nicaragua.
7. What book are you reading right now? I am reading 5: The Optimum Nutrition Bible, All In (for the third time), Kindfullness, A Woman’s Spirit and Dr. Jensen’s Guide To Better Bowel Care.
8. Twitter or Instagram? Both.
9. Who should everyone be following right now? ME!
10. What’s your sign? Gemini
11. What’s your favourite food? Pancakes, and peanut butter. [See Kathy’s recipe for Protein Pancakes, below.]
12. Least favourite food? Caviar and pate (it tastes like cat food to me).
13. What’s the best thing about cooking? It feels like yoga in the kitchen—relaxing, fluid movements, peaceful, joyful and a dance of smells and flavours.
14. What do you love on your gluten-free pizza? Pineapple, bacon and hot peppers (salty, spicy and sweet—like me!).
15. When’s the last time you got glutened? Last year.
16. What was it you ate? Gravy sauce on a steak.
17. What happens to you? I become foggy and exhausted, have frequent bowel movements and typically throw up.
18. What do you do to make yourself feel better? Walk in nature.
19. Do you have a tattoo? If so, what and where? Not yet but I plan to! (It will be one word: peace.)
20. What’s your spirit animal? Wolf.
21. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up? Make coffee.
22. Who do you want to have coffee with? Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Neil Young or Corrie ten Boom.
23. When do you feel most beautiful? When I am smiling and happy.
24. What’s the worst thing about having celiac disease? People not taking into consideration my dietary restrictions when I’m eating out.
25. What’s the best thing about having celiac disease? Discovering new foods and tastes in different countries.
26. What’s one talent you wish you had? To be able to dance really well! I am a total klutz on the dance floor.
27. Who do you look up to most in life? My mom.
28. What food is always in your fridge? Watermelon and avocados.
29. What’s your go-to gluten-free snack? Gluten-free avocado toast.
30. On a scale of 1 to 10 how excited are you about life right now? 15!!
Click below for Protein Pancake recipe